Monday, October 4, 2010

Panoche weekend-Saturday

We moved the operation to the Panoche Valley for some thermal soaring away from the effect of the marine layer and sea air.  Those driving took the blue route and rest went "as the crow flys!  Tom and I released from tow 3/4 of the way there and immediately found ourselves in a thermal with 4-5 young golden eagles who all disappeared by the time I got the camera out!

I gave a ride to two senoritas who didn't speak any English and I don't speak any Spanish!

Butch and Ron rode in on motorcycles and were being briefed by Joy with the glider and towplane in the background.  Ron says, "yea let's go"!

Down to the left is the Panoche Inn where the bar-b-que will be and just "above" that is the dirt landing strip that is indistinguishable from all the other dirt roads from this angle.

Eric has landed with a rainbow just visible between himself and Quest

Almost all are down and we can head for the bar-b-que

The end of the day:

The de-briefing while waiting for Larry to ring the "chow" bell:

"Let's eat" says Larry while Buzz takes his picture:

There are no extra lights in Panoche when the sun goes down!

Here's the moon and clouds as I saw them from my sleeping bag while serving as the "night watchman" alone with the gliders, towplanes and fuel truck.  A few rain drops awakened me at 3am!

No comments:

Post a Comment