Sunday, December 4, 2011

late entry for fantastic wave flight out over the ocean!


Not only do I give rides, once in a while when conditions and invitations warrant, I get given a ride!

Here's info and pics from the flight I had with Matt Gillis in BASA's DG-1000.  Matt asked if I wanted to go, (DUH!) so I got my 'chute, topped off the O2 bottle and removed the covers!  We launched late at 11:30 with a long, low and rough tow behind Cherokee 17W and finally contacted workable wave over Pleasure Point.  Matt had done the homework with lots of info but "Mother Nature" wasn't doing what he had expected!  Once above about 12K I started to relax as I felt we could make Watsonville as the winds were very strong!  Out over the ocean, "feet wet" was a little unnerving but I enjoyed the visibility and perspective.  Matt thought we should go down to Big Sur but I thought that might be too much of a stretch!  Got down the Salinas Valley and listened to the other two gliders during their "dives" back to Hollister.  We managed to land 5 minutes before sunset!  

I've included reference to the traces from Harry Fox in BASA's DG-505 and Eric Rupp in his ASW 27.  Check out the sink on the way back to Hollister from Salinas!  H...

Matt--     http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=2167815



17,999' is as high as we can legally go without a special clearance from ATC:

Ano Nuevo in the foreground with Half Moon Bay further north and the SF Bay Area in full view.  I could even see the Golden Gate Bridge!  My little camera doesn't do justice to the real view we had.

A little chilly and O2 is definitely needed as delivered through the canula:

Eric in his beautiful ASW 27 joined us above Harry and his passenger who were flying in the BASA DG-505:


Harry--   http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-45110779

Eric--     http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=2167164




 my pics--  http://www.flickr.com/photos/98883461@N00/sets/72157628247775605/

No comments:

Post a Comment